Poison Alert - don't let your cat come into contact with lilies (Summer 2005)

A recent report in The Daily Telegraph highlighted the danger that lilies pose to cats. The article reported how a cat brushed against some lilies, which were in a vase in the house, licked the pollen from its fur and within minutes was being sick. A few hours later, despite being rushed to the vet, she had died, after going blind, suffering renal failure and becoming virtually paralysed.

All lilies and all parts of lilies are poisonous to cats. The RSPCA is reporting an increase in such cases as lilies become more widely available in shops and supermarkets. It is to launch a campaign to increase public awareness of the problem and is urging manufacturers and producers to add warnings to the packaging.